Diva marks 100 with look at lack of lesbians in the media
LONDON - Diva, the lesbian life and style magazine, is celebrating its 100th issue with a campaign to expose the invisibility of gay women in the media, and lesbians' problematic relationship with mainstream advertising, branding and PR.
As gay men are increasingly seen as a desirable target market, highlighted by the success of shows like 'Will & Grace' and 'Queer Eye for the Straight Guy', the lesbian market remains largely ignored, despite what Diva says is a thriving market.
Diva has created a spoof advertising campaign to tackle these issues, working closely with designers and creative agencies. In a series of images, top designers promote fashion to the lesbian market, highlight how feminine lesbians are often overlooked and show how "butch" can be sexy.
Jane Czyselska, editor of Diva, said: "Believe it or not, lesbians like to wear clothes. We listen to music, watch films, like going on holidays and many of us would never be seen dead without some kind of hair product. Some of us even know how to drive a car."
The 100th souvenir issue also includes a gay tribute to The Beatles, The Rolling Stones and Queen and an interview with 'Celebrity Fit Club' stars Amy Lame and Melissa P.
In May, the title had a revamp, which saw Czyselska appointed as editor and a commitment to using celebrities, such as Deborah Harry, on the cover.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Head of Marketing - SyFy NBC Universal Competitive, London (Greater) / London (Central), London (Greater)
- Digital Marketing Manager Ibiza Rocks 30 - 34K DOE plus performance related bonus , London (Central), London (Greater)
- Brand Manager Win Technologies £40,000 - £45,000 per annum plus bonus and benefits, Camden, London (Greater)
- Senior Corporate Reporting Consultant Radley Yeldar Competitive Salary + Bonus + Benefits, London (Greater)
- Content Producer - Fantastic, creatively-led Integrated Agency, up to £45K + benefits Story Recruitment up to £45K + great benefits, London (Central), London (Greater) / London (South), London (Greater)
- Assistant Brand Manager Hair Care (Interim) Tarsh Lazare Marketing Recruitment To £34,000, Surrey