Living TV to create UK version of Extreme Makeover
LONDON – Living TV is to produce a British version of the controversial US show 'Extreme Makeover', in which members of the public undergo plastic surgery in the hope of transforming their lives.
Once the participants have their new looks, a team of personal trainers will get them into shape while a stylist will work on their wardrobe, hair and make-up.
'Extreme Makeover' was a big hit in the US, where it aired on the Disney-owned ABC network over three seasons. It was one of the broadcaster's top-rating shows.
As many as 20,000 people applied to appear on the second series of the US show. Successful candidates included identical twins Caroline and Catherine; 40-year-old radio producer Dan and Michele, a 26-year-old who was often mistaken for a man.
Living TV acquired the rights to broadcast the US series, made by BVITV, last year and is screening series two on Thursday nights at 10pm.
Production for the 11 one-hour UK episodes begins this month and the show is scheduled to air next year.
Hannah Barnes, the deputy controller of Living TV, said: "The demand for cosmetic surgery programming has increased dramatically and Living TV is at the knife edge of this trend.
"Extreme Makeover has been so successful with our viewers that we felt the time was right to give Brits the chance to have an ultimate makeover."
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Commercial Market Analyst UCAS c.£35,000 , Cheltenham, Gloucestershire
- Creative Production Controller (Maternity Cover) Asthma UK £34,361 - £36,169, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Marketing Brand Manager Clipper Ventures Circa £40k - dependent on experience, South East England / South West England / Gosport, Hampshire
- Senior Product Manager Ball & Hoolahan £50,000 per annum, London (Central), London (Greater) / London (City of), London (Greater)
- Customer Insight Manager Tottenham Hotspur Between £40,000-£45,000 per annum + benefits (dependant on experience), London (North), London (Greater)
- Sponsorship Manager Ball & Hoolahan £50,000 per annum, London (Central), London (Greater)