'Austin Powers' star gives the finger in Orange spot
LONDON - Verne Troyer, who plays Mini Me in the 'Austin Powers' films, is the latest Hollywood star appear in Orange's popular cinema campaign.
He follows Carrie Fisher, Spike Lee, Roy Scheider and, most recently, 'Lord of the Rings' actor Sean Astin, in a campaign that shows stars pitching their film ideas to the fictional Orange Film Board.
In the new spot, created by Mother, Troyer walks up and down the boardroom table, outlining his vision for a film about a "misfit in society, trying to find his voice".
Members of the film panel immediately latch on to the idea of the voice, suggesting it could be used to shoehorn mobile phone services into Troyer's proposed movie.
The actor insists the film needs stature, not mobile phones. But one of the board members points out that what the film needs is funding, prompting Mr Dresden, the leader of the film board, to quote Dr Evil's line from Austin Powers: "About one million pounds!"
Troyer expresses his disbelief and the rest of the board let out an evil "Muahahaha" laugh. He responds by giving them the finger and the commercial ends with the familiar tagline: "Don't let a mobile phone ruin your film."
Brennan Brown and Steve Furst reprise their respective roles as Dresden and board member Burnley.
The advertisement was created by Luke Williams and Yan Elliot at Mother and directed at Bryan Buckley.
Orange said it planned to follow the spot, which will run for three months starting at the end of August, with ads starring Darryl Hannah and Patrick Swayze.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Optimisation Manager / Ad & Campaign Operations Manager UCAS Up to £50,000 plus 30-days annual leave, bonus, flexible benefits & pension, London (Central), London (Greater) / Cheltenham, Gloucestershire
- Creative Production Controller (Maternity Cover) Asthma UK £34,361 - £36,169, London (Central), London (Greater)
- MARKETING MANAGER - Fashion Success Digital negotiable, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Sponsorship Manager Ball & Hoolahan £50,000 per annum, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Head of Marketing - SyFy NBC Universal Competitive, London (Greater) / London (Central), London (Greater)
- Category Development Manager - Leading FMCG Tarsh Lazare Marketing Recruitment £40K-£46K + Generous Car Allowance + Benefits Package, London (Greater)