Nike usurps Adidas as Europe's biggest football brand
LONDON - Nike's concerted effort to promote itself as a football brand appears to have paid off following claims that it has overtaken Adidas for the first time.
Nike has now a 34% share of the football-related footwear market compared with Adidas, which has 30.2%, according to market research company NPD in the Financial Times.
The news will be particularly galling for Adidas, a European brand that uses football's brightest star, David Beckham, and the man voted the world's best footballer, Zinedine Zidane, in its advertising.
It is a phenomenal result for Nike, which was the seventh biggest football brand in Europe in 1994. In the past Nike has focused on promoting its basketball credentials, signing up a host of sportsmen best know in its home market of the US.
Since then it has clinched advertising deals with top footballers Thierry Henry, Luis Figo, Ronaldo and, more recently Wayne Rooney, and run numerous football campaigns through Wieden & Kennedy.
Adidas also has deals with Arsenal and Manchester United.
During the Euro 2004 championships Adidas ran television work featuring the Portuguese national side and Henry, who was shown playing against imaginary rivals in his own house.
Eunan McLaughlin, the head of Nike in Europe, told the FT: "Almost half the goals scored at the European Championships -- 38 out of 77, I think -- were scored in Nike boots."
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Regional Corporate Senior Executive - Volunteer Fundraising (Home Based) Cancer Research UK £25000 - £29000 per annum + Car + Excellent benefits, Nationwide
- Regional Corporate Executive - Volunteer Fundraising (Home Based) Cancer Research UK £20000 - £24000 per annum + Car + Excellent benefits, Nationwide
- ACCOUNT DIRECTORS - Integrated/ATL/TTL/BTL/SP/Shopper/Retail - London - up to £50k Judi Patton £40k-£50k plus excellent benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Digital Delivery Manager Cancer Research UK £35000 per annum + excellent benefits, London
- BTL AGENCY ACCOUNT HANDLERS - integrated, shopper, sales promotion, retail, digital Judi Patton £22K-£55K, London (Central), London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater) / London (North), London (Gr...
- Client Partner The Great & The Good £80000 - £90000 per annum + significant benefits, London