'Super Size Me' director dismisses McDonald's ads
LONDON – Morgan Spurlock, who ate nothing but McDonald's food for a month for his documentary 'Super Size Me', has condemned as 'laughable' press advertisements the fast-food chain used to defend itself.
McDonald's took out the ads in The Times, The Guardian and The Independent last week to coincide with Spurlock's promotion of his film at the Edinburgh Festival.
The fast food company said it agreed with the central premise of the film -- that eating too much without taking exercise will harm your health. McDonald's highlighted that it had added healthier items to its menu and claimed it would take the average customer six years to consume the amount of McDonald's food that Spurlock ate in a month.
Speaking on movie website screendaily.com, Spurlock said the ads were "laughable", adding, "it's fantastic –- we've created a film that makes a gigantic corporation examine its business practices and every function".
In the Independent on Sunday he described the ads as "wonderful publicity". Spurlock added: "They paint this picture of me as a lethargic slob who just sat and ate McDonald's for hours on end, where I was just emulating the daily physical activity of most Americans, who walk only a mile and a half a day."
McDonald's has defended its campaign, saying it created the press ads to ensure a "balanced debate".
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Corporate Senior Executive - Volunteer Fundraising (Home Based) Cancer Research UK £25000 - £29000 per annum + Car + Excellent benefits, Nationwide
- Corporate Executive - Volunteer Fundraising (Home Based) Cancer Research UK £20000 - £24000 per annum + Car + Excellent benefits, Nationwide
- ACCOUNT DIRECTORS - Integrated/ATL/TTL/BTL/SP/Shopper/Retail - London - up to £50k Judi Patton £40k-£50k plus excellent benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Digital Delivery Manager Cancer Research UK £35000 per annum + excellent benefits, London
- BTL AGENCY ACCOUNT HANDLERS - integrated, shopper, sales promotion, retail, digital Judi Patton £22K-£55K, London (Central), London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater) / London (North), London (Gr...
- Client Partner The Great & The Good £80000 - £90000 per annum + significant benefits, London