Ramsay's 'Hell's Kitchen' outbursts land ITV in hot water
LONDON - ITV1 reality show 'Hell's Kitchen' has been rapped by the broadcast watchdog because of Gordon Ramsay's bad language.
Ofcom received more than 100 complaints about the show, mostly relating to the celebrity chef's outbursts.
However, it was the use of the phrase "fucking Jesus", singled out by five viewers, that incurred the wrath of the watchdog. The words breached the section of the programme code dealing with holy names linked to strong expletives.
Ramsay's treatment of the trainee chefs, who included former Tory politician Edwina Currie and comedian Al Murray, drew complaints from 11 people who said the show endorsed bullying.
At one point, when Currie refused to cook a dish, Ramsay complained: "One minute you're shagging our prime minister and now you're shagging me from behind."
Ofcom cleared ITV of any wrongdoing on this account, saying: "Gordon Ramsay's language and robust management style were well known from his previous performances and off-screen media coverage."
A further five viewers objecting to the killing of lobsters but Ofcom ruled this was reasonable because it was an integral part of restaurant life.
Ramsay has turned down another series of 'Hell's Kitchen' in favour of a new series with Channel 4. However, the network has milked the format with a one-off show in which winner Jennifer Ellison cooked dinner for hundreds of school children.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Creative Production Controller (Maternity Cover) Asthma UK £34,361 - £36,169, London (Central), London (Greater)
- MARKETING MANAGER - Fashion Success Digital negotiable, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Sponsorship Manager Ball & Hoolahan £50,000 per annum, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Head of Marketing - SyFy NBC Universal Competitive, London (Greater) / London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Designer Creative Recruitment £30000 - £34000 per annum, Buckinghamshire
- Senior Marketing Manager PSD Group Up to £75K + car + package, London (Central), London (Greater)