Beatty to succeed MacLennan as Associated chief
LONDON - Daily Mail & General Trust has appointed Kevin Beatty, head of its Northcliffe Newspapers Group, managing director of Associated Newspapers. He replaces Murdoch MacLennan, who was named chief executive of the Telegraph Group at the weekend.
Beatty has been the managing director of the Mail on Sunday and the London Evening Standard. He also helped launch Associated's hugely successful Metro free morning newspaper in 1999.
MacLennan had been the group managing director of Associated for 10 years before being hired by the Barclay brothers' Telegraph Group, where he will oversee a cost-cutting plan across the Daily and Sunday Telegraph. MacLennan, 55, takes over from Jeremy Deedes, who came out of retirement earlier this year to oversee the sale of the group.
According to MacLennan said: "It is a great honour to be offered such a wonderful opportunity after so many enjoyable years at Associated. I am looking forward to it."
His Telegraph appointment came as a surprise at the weekend and he is thought to be the first of a number of hirings for the reclusive Barclay brothers.
Northcliffe Newspapers, the regional press arm of DMGT, has promoted deputy managing director, Michael Pelosi, to take over Beatty's role.
Pelosi has been with Northcliffe since he was appointed the finance director in 1988. He was promoted to deputy managing director in 1995.
Lord Rothermere, the chairman of DMGT, said: "I am delighted to make these two appointments from within the group. They illustrate the depth and strength of our management and I am more than confident that our newspapers will continue to prosper under their leadership."
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Digital Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £52,000 + Car/Car Allowance, South East England / London (Central), London (Greater)
- Campaign Marketing Manager EMAP Competitive + Bonus, London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater)
- Business Development Manager EMAP Competitive + Bonus, London (Greater) / London (Central), London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater)
- Digital Acquisition Manager - Leading Online Biz GoodEgg Digital £70k + Bonus and Benefits, United Kingdom / England / North West England / Lancashire / Manchester, Greater Manchester
- Search Marketing Manager - International Markets Search Laboratory £24,000 - £30,000 per annum + benefits , Yorkshire and the Humber / North Yorkshire / West Yorkshire / Harrogate, North Yorkshire / Leeds,...
- Marketing Communications Senior Manager Lloyd's of London Competitive salary and benefits package , London (City of), London (Greater)