Morgan follows book deal with £1.7m Mirror payoff
LONDON – Piers Morgan, sacked as Daily Mirror editor over the publication of fake Iraqi abuse pictures, has received a £1.7m golden goodbye from Trinity Mirror just days after signing a £1.2m publishing deal for his memoirs.
Schillings, the law firm acting on Morgan's behalf, reached an agreement at the end of last week. The sum is said to take into account loss of salary, pension rights and share options.
The amount is understood to have angered some Trinity Mirror shareholders, who pressed Sly Bailey, the company's chief executive, to fire the editor. The Mirror had to publish a front-page apology after it printed pictures alleging to show British soldiers torturing Iraqi prisoners. An investigation by the Ministry of Defence found the pictures were a hoax.
However, according to lawyers, Trinity Mirror would have to prove that Morgan knew the photographs were fake when they were published to avoid the payout. The company has never claimed Morgan knew the pictures were fake when he ran the story.
The news of the payoff follows Morgan's £1.2m deal with Ebury Press to publish his memoirs. Trinity Mirror declined to comment on the payoff.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- SENIOR ADVERTISING MANAGER (MATERNITY COVER) notonthehighstreet.com Competitive , Richmond
- Corporate Senior Executive - Volunteer Fundraising (Home Based) Cancer Research UK £25000 - £29000 per annum + Car + Excellent benefits, Nationwide
- Corporate Executive - Volunteer Fundraising (Home Based) Cancer Research UK £20000 - £24000 per annum + Car + Excellent benefits, Nationwide
- ACCOUNT DIRECTORS - Integrated/ATL/TTL/BTL/SP/Shopper/Retail - London - up to £50k Judi Patton £40k-£50k plus excellent benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Digital Delivery Manager Cancer Research UK £35000 per annum + excellent benefits, London
- BTL AGENCY ACCOUNT HANDLERS - integrated, shopper, sales promotion, retail, digital Judi Patton £22K-£55K, London (Central), London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater) / London (North), London (Gr...