Portman Group ads reveal ugly truth of binge drinking
LONDON – Young women are being warned in a print campaign by alcohol body the Portman Group that they could lose their looks if they drink excessively.
The advertsements feature a spoof cosmetic called Masq Creme de la Regret and show a logo of a woman holding her head while being sick. Posters and postcards will be distributed in pubs, bars and coffee shops across the UK.
The campaign is supported by a website that features horoscopes, drink diaries and information about alcohol and beauty.
Recent research revealed the proportion of women aged 16 to 24 who drink more than 35 units a week has tripled in four years. The rise of a "ladette" binge drinking culture has been blamed for pushing up the figures from 3% in 1998 to 10% in 2002. A unit is equivalent to a small glass of wine of half a pint of beer.
Drinking excessive amounts of alcohol can cause dry skin, broken veins, bloodshot eyes and weight gain.
Jean Cousins, the chief executive of the Portman Group, said: "Masq looks like something that has been developed by white-coated experts working diligently in a lab, desperate to hang on to the secret formula.
"In fact there is no secret -- women who want to drink should stick to the government's recommended daily guidelines of two to three units, if they don't want to start ruining their health."
The Portman Group was set up by the drinks industry to promote sensible drinking and the responsible marketing of alcoholic products. Its members include Carlsberg UK, Coors and Diageo.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Vice President Marketing Communications Direct Recruitment £75,000 - £79,000, London
- Account Director - Integrated - [Digital / Promotions] - Dynamic agency! to £49k Fill Recruitment Ltd £45k - £49k + superb bonus & benefits, Central London
- Research Director (Pharma & Healthcare) Trace £80000 - £110000 Per Annum + potential Equity, London
- Senior Client Strategist PFJ £45000 - £50000 per annum + + 15% bonus, London
- Category Consultant Ball & Hoolahan £50,000 per annum, London
- Account Manager ATL Soho Creative Agency Twist Recruitment £25000 - £32000 per annum + Fantastic Benefits, West End