Porsche gets starring role in Basinger thriller Cellular
LONDON - Porsches are to feature heavily in upcoming thriller 'Cellular', starring Kim Basinger, as part of deal with filmmakers New Line Cinema to widen typical movie product placement.
The Porsche 911 Turbo Cabriolet and Cayenne V6 SUV figure prominently in the film's plot as Basinger plays a kidnap victim who calls for help on her cell phone.
Porsche Cars North America is to hold events at its dealerships in the US to show the trailer for 'Cellular' and offer 40,000 Cayenne sales prospects two tickets to the movie in exchange for a test drive.
Porsche is also promoting the film by email and in publications sent to Porsche owners.
Basinger and the rest of the Hollywood cast are to ride in Porsches to the movie's premiere on September 17.
Additional footage of the Porsche 911 was shot to be added to the DVD version of the film to released next year. The movie also stars Chris Evans, who will seen next year in the movie 'Fantastic Four' where he plays Johnny Storm, The Human Torch, alongside Brit actor Ioan Gruffudd as Reed Richards, Mr Fantastic.
The deal is similar to those struck by Jaguar for 'Catwoman' and BMW, which featured its Z3 in the Bond move 'GoldenEye', the BMW 750i and the BMW RC1200 motorbike in 'Tomorrow Never Dies' and the BMW Z8 in 'The World is Not Enough' before Bond retuned to his more traditional Aston Martin in 'Die Another Day'.
However, Porsche will have to go some way before it tops the record of the Ford Mustang, which has appeared in more than 500 movies in its 40-year history.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Head of Digital & Social - Dublin / London The Great & The Good In the region of £60,000 - £65,000 per annum, Dublin
- Commercial Manager Business Centric Services Group Up to £45,000 per annum + benefits, Old Street
- Head of Marketing Operations - Fixed Term Contract 12 months NEST Corporation Competitve, London
- Senior Account Manager / First Time Account Director Content is King £35k - £45k per annum dependent on experience, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Head of Acquisition & Retention NEST Corporation Competitive, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Group Account Director - Experiential Agency The Great & The Good £70,000 - £75,000 per annum, London