Reality TV ad shows one woman's battle to quit smoking
LONDON - GlaxoSmithKline has launched the UK's first reality TV ad, which follows a woman's struggle to give up smoking with its NiQuitin CQ product.
Lorraine O'Mullane, a 20-a-day smoker, will compile a video diary charting her attempt to give up cigarettes with nicotine substitute NiQuitin CQ.
TV audiences will see her stub out her last cigarette during an ad break for 'Emmerdale' on ITV1 tonight. Her progress will be followed in radio, TV and print advertising for five weeks. Confirmed media include the Daily Mirror, Virgin Radio and Xfm.
Creative for the ads was created by WRCS after winning the account from Ogilvy & Mather without a pitch in February. Media planning and buying is being through MediaCom.
O'Mullane, 35, has attempted to give up smoking several times before and failed. This time, her five-year-old daughter's asthma is her main motivation to quit.
Mark Dickinson, category director at NiQuitin, said: "To a degree this is a gamble. Obviously we hope Lorraine succeeds and people will think, if she can give up than so can I."
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Senior Brand Strategist Rare Selection £75K - £100K, Central London
- Brand / Senior Brand Consultant Rare Selection Salaries from £40K - £85K, Central London