SATC creator to produce Bourdain's Kitchen Confidential
LONDON - The creator of HBO hit series 'Sex and the City' is ditching Manolo Blahniks for hip New York restaurants, after being signed by Fox TV to produce 'Kitchen', based on Anthony Bourdain's best-selling book 'Kitchen Confidential'.
The show will take a behind the scenes look at restaurants made famous in Bourdain's best-selling book.
According to reports, Darren Star will supervise the writing of the pilot script and will also executive produce and direct. A search is currently under way for a writer to adapt the book to the small screen.
In the autobiographical 'Kitchen Confidential', Bourdain, executive chef at Les Halles brasserie in New York, writes about his 25 years in the business from his first oyster to his lowly position as dishwasher in a fish restaurant in Provincetown. It documents kitchens from the Rainbow Room at the top of the Rockefeller Centre to episodes with drug dealers in the East Village.
Cooking has become big business on TV, with the success of the likes of Jamie Oliver in the UK and US, and Gordon Ramsay, who is set to repeat his success with ITV in the UK with Fox in the US.
Ramsay has signed a deal with Fox TV to make a US version of hit reality show, 'Hell's Kitchen'. The US version of 'Hell's Kitchen', which screened on ITV1, will use ordinary men and women who think they can make it as chefs. The major difference will be that the winner of the show will receive their own restaurant in Hollywood worth over $2m (£1.08m).
New Line, which has the rights to Bourdain's best seller, will produce 'Kitchen' through New Line TV, along with Darren Star Productions and 20th Century Fox television.
Star won an Emmy for the HBO comedy 'Sex and the City' in 2001 and cut his teeth working with Aaron Spelling on 'Beverley Hills 90210' and 'Melrose Place'.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Senior Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £Excellent Salary Package , South East England / London (Greater)
- Innovation Senior Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £48,000 + Car/Car Allowance, South East England
- Digital Marketing Specialist Colyer London £25000 per annum, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Brand Manager Diageo Great reward package for great talent, Amsterdam / Dublin / Madrid / London (Greater)
- Digital Display Executive (fashion e-commerce) Farfetch Competitive + bonus + benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Campaign Marketing Manager EMAP Competitive + Bonus, London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater)