House of Fraser scrap Army & Navy logo after 130 years
LONDON – House of Fraser is dropping its famous Army & Navy logo after the completion of the refurbishment of its 133-year-old flagship store in Victoria Street later this year.
Other Army & Navy stores in Maidstone and Camberley still operating under the name will be rebranded later this year.
Army & Navy opened its doors to the public in 1871 as a cooperative run by Army and Navy officers offering discounted goods to anyone with military connections, including widows of servicemen killed in action. It was bought by House of Fraser in 1973, but retained the Army & Navy logo.
John Coleman, chief executive of House of Fraser, said the retail giant's strategy was to rebrand all Army & Navy stores once refurbishments were complete.
House of Fraser was founded as Frasers in Glasgow in 1849. Its other stores include Dickens & Jones, Rackhams and Barkers.
The company has just released its interim results with pre-tax losses improved to £3.1m for the six months to July 31, compared with a £7.7m loss last year.
Same store sales for the first half were flat, blamed on the interchangeable summer weather, although for the first eight weeks for the second half, sales rose 1.3% on improved margins.
House of Fraser has been criticised over the Army & Navy move, which some say is adding to the bland and cloned nature of many of the UK's high streets.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Regional Corporate Senior Executive - Volunteer Fundraising (Home Based) Cancer Research UK £25000 - £29000 per annum + Car + Excellent benefits, Nationwide
- Regional Corporate Executive - Volunteer Fundraising (Home Based) Cancer Research UK £20000 - £24000 per annum + Car + Excellent benefits, Nationwide
- ACCOUNT DIRECTORS - Integrated/ATL/TTL/BTL/SP/Shopper/Retail - London - up to £50k Judi Patton £40k-£50k plus excellent benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Digital Delivery Manager Cancer Research UK £35000 per annum + excellent benefits, London
- BTL AGENCY ACCOUNT HANDLERS - integrated, shopper, sales promotion, retail, digital Judi Patton £22K-£55K, London (Central), London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater) / London (North), London (Gr...
- Client Partner The Great & The Good £80000 - £90000 per annum + significant benefits, London