Change of heart for Gascoigne as he joins I'm a Celeb
LONDON - Former England footballer Paul Gascoigne is to join the line-up of faded stars for the next series of ITV's 'I'm A Celebrity... Get Me Out of Here!' in November after quitting as player-coach of Boston United.
Gazza, as he is more affectionately known by the British public, was approached by ITV bosses a number of months ago but turned down the offer to concentrate on his football team, Boston United, in Lincolnshire, where is both player and manager.
But the 57-times capped former England player, who appeared for Newcastle, Tottenham, Lazio and Rangers during his career and is famed for his tears as England went out of the 1990 World Cup, quit his job at the League Two club on Tuesday.
Gazza will join other celebrities including former East 17 bad boy Brian Harvey, Olympic ice-skating champions Torvill and Dean, former 'EastEnders' star Sid Owen, ex-Steps singer Lisa Scott-Lee, 70s page-three girl Jilly Johnson and former kids TV presenter Timmy Mallett.
One-hit-wonder Chesney Hawkes, who sang 'The One and Only', and disgraced football pundit Ron Atkinson, whose racist football slur cost him his job, could also make the final cut.
It was also reported that model Sophie Anderton jumped ship from Five's reality show 'The Farm' to join 'I'm a Celebrity', although the full line-up will not be confirmed until a week before the show launches for a two-week run in November.
The last series averaged audiences well over the 10m mark and saw TV presenter Kerry McFadden crowned Queen of the Jungle.
Previous winners include cricketer Phil Tufnell and DJ Tony Blackburn.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £68,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London
- Brand Manager Tarsh Lazare Marketing Recruitment £40,000 - £42,000, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Innovation Development Manager Stopgap £35750 per annum, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Social Content Producer leading London Digital Agency highly progressive social account Ramsden Road c.£40k, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Secure Connectivity Product Manager Barclay Meade £60000 - £70000 per annum + bonus + benefits, Berkshire
- Digital Fundraising Analyst PFJ £34000.00 - £41500.00 per annum, London (Central), London (Greater)