Global adspend growth set to rise says ZenithOptimedia
LONDON - ZenithOptimedia has upped its forecasts for global advertising growth next year, and said that Europe remains on course to grow faster than the US in 2005.
The media agency said that it was predicting a global adspend growth rate for the year of 6.2%, compared with its mid-year forecast of 5.7%, after calculating that adspend currently occupies 0.99% of economic output, up from its mid-year forecast of 0.98%.
In Europe, the advertising-to-GDP ration is recovering from 2003's low of 0.78% to 0.8% and rising. ZenithOptimedia said it expected the UK and France to sustain stable ratios seen before the dotcom boom, while the recovery in Germany and Italy is strong.
Jonathan Barnard, knowledge management manager at ZenithOptimedia, said: "The growth comes partly from the quadrennial effect, the Olympics in some countries, Euro 2004 and the US Presidential elections, and this was taken to account. But we are also recovering from the recession that began in 2001, with adspend now recovering to a percentage of GDP that is normal."
Overall, ZenithOptimedia is forecasting that European adspend will grow by 4.7% this year. Next year, it sees growth of 4.4% for Europe, ahead of the US figure of 4.2%. The figures compare with the Advertising Association's prediction of 4.4% growth in 2005 for UK adspend, but are ahead of Carat's forecast last month of 5.7% growth for 2004.
ZenithOptimedia said that broad-based demand for above-the-line advertising in sectors including retail, automotive, telecoms and financial services was helping. It also said that fear among marketers of lack of consumer confidence could actually help to drive some demand for advertising, especially in sectors such as motors in the US.
The report is based on information from 57 countries monitored by ZenithOptimedia. The full Advertising Expenditure Forecast is published quarterly and can be bought from ZenithOptimedia.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Account Director AF Selection £35,000 - £38,000 plus car, Birmingham
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Global Insight Director Ball & Hoolahan £75,000 + CA + benefits, London