Beckham triples income as he is engulfed in new scandal
LONDON - As England captain David Beckham is engulfed in a fresh extramarital tabloid affair at the weekend, it has been revealed that his endorsements from brands, such as Pepsi, Adidas and Vodafone, have made him almost double the £5m he earns from playing for Real Madrid and England.
On Sunday, the News of the World claimed that Beckham had seduced a beautician Dannielle Heath and had sex with her behind the back of his pregnant wife.
The star, who led England to a 2-0 World Cup qualifier victory on Saturday, has denied the latest claims and this morning The Sun claims that Heath had tried to blackmail Beckham, threatening to go to the tabloids unless he paid her.
Heath, a salon worker, claimed to have romped twice with the England Captain while working for Victoria. The latest scandal follows that earlier this year when the story of Beckham's alleged affair with Rebecca Loos broke. Loos is tipped to win Five's reality show 'The Farm'.
On the endorsements front, the England captain's company, Footwork Productions, turned over £7.9m in eight months to the end of 2003. In comparison, playing for Real Madrid and England earns Beckham £5m a year.
Beckham is famed for his off-pitch endorsements, which include deals with Adidas, Vodafone, Pepsi, Gilette and the Tokyo Beauty Centre, which is shared with wife Victoria. Past endorsements include Brylcreem hair gel, a Marks & Spencer's clothing range and Police sunglasses.
Before setting up Footwork Productions, Beckham spent 10 years being represented by US media group Clear Channel's SFX sports marketing. The company signed a deal with the footballer, dubbed "Golden Balls", where 10%-15% of his brand endorsements were given to the company.
It is unclear how much of the £7.9m salary is taxable since Beckham's move to Spanish Club Real Madrid has relieved some tax burdens.
Beckham who regularly makes an entrance on The Times Rich List is reputed to be worth over £65m.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Senior Fundraising Development Officer Comic Relief From £35,000pa, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Digital Creative Manager UCAS £comp + 25-days leave, flexible benefits and other fringe benefits, including Xmas closure , Cheltenham, Gloucestershire
- Digital Media Manager Save the Children £37,000 + Benefits, London (Greater)
- Consumer Activation Controller Mast-Jaegermeister UK Limited Salary depending on experience. Additional bonus, pension, BUPA, life assurance, 25 days' holiday., Camberley, Surrey
- PR Manager AF Selection £25,000 - £35,000 + Benefits, Manchester, Greater Manchester
- ACCOUNT DIRECTORS - Integrated/ATL/TTL/BTL/SP/Shopper/Retail - London - up to £45k Judi Patton £40k-£45k plus excellent benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)