Beckham triples income as he is engulfed in new scandal
LONDON - As England captain David Beckham is engulfed in a fresh extramarital tabloid affair at the weekend, it has been revealed that his endorsements from brands, such as Pepsi, Adidas and Vodafone, have made him almost double the £5m he earns from playing for Real Madrid and England.
On Sunday, the News of the World claimed that Beckham had seduced a beautician Dannielle Heath and had sex with her behind the back of his pregnant wife.
The star, who led England to a 2-0 World Cup qualifier victory on Saturday, has denied the latest claims and this morning The Sun claims that Heath had tried to blackmail Beckham, threatening to go to the tabloids unless he paid her.
Heath, a salon worker, claimed to have romped twice with the England Captain while working for Victoria. The latest scandal follows that earlier this year when the story of Beckham's alleged affair with Rebecca Loos broke. Loos is tipped to win Five's reality show 'The Farm'.
On the endorsements front, the England captain's company, Footwork Productions, turned over £7.9m in eight months to the end of 2003. In comparison, playing for Real Madrid and England earns Beckham £5m a year.
Beckham is famed for his off-pitch endorsements, which include deals with Adidas, Vodafone, Pepsi, Gilette and the Tokyo Beauty Centre, which is shared with wife Victoria. Past endorsements include Brylcreem hair gel, a Marks & Spencer's clothing range and Police sunglasses.
Before setting up Footwork Productions, Beckham spent 10 years being represented by US media group Clear Channel's SFX sports marketing. The company signed a deal with the footballer, dubbed "Golden Balls", where 10%-15% of his brand endorsements were given to the company.
It is unclear how much of the £7.9m salary is taxable since Beckham's move to Spanish Club Real Madrid has relieved some tax burdens.
Beckham who regularly makes an entrance on The Times Rich List is reputed to be worth over £65m.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £40,000 + Car/ Car Allowance, South East England
- Creative Director, PR Agency, London Office + Great Benefits Fleishman-Hillard Up to £100,000, dep on experience, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Head of Digital & Social - Dublin / London The Great & The Good In the region of £60,000 - £65,000 per annum, Dublin
- ACCOUNT DIRECTORS - Integrated/ATL/TTL/BTL/SP/Shopper/Retail - London - up to £50k Judi Patton £40k-£50k plus excellent benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Group Account Director - Experiential Agency The Great & The Good £70,000 - £75,000 per annum, London
- SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/GROUP ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - shopper marketing agency - London Judi Patton £50-65k dependent on experience plus benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)