Greater China: Viacom extends China presence for MTV and Nick
GUANGZHOU: US media giant Viacom has made further inroads into China, announcing a tie-up with Beijing Television, greater distribution of MTV in Southern China and increased Nickelodeon programming on CCTV.
Chairman and CEO Sumner Redstone said Viacom had formed a strategic partnership to co-create music and entertainment shows with Beijing TV. Viacom has already started developing its first productions with Shanghai Media Group after announcing plans to co-produce Chinese language children's programmes with SMG earlier this year, even though the venture has reportedly yet to be officially sanctioned.
Redstone envisaged significant opportunities for facilitating cultural exchange be- tween China and other countries, especially the US.
Viacom is also boosting the number of homes receiving MTV in Guangdong province from one million to three million.
The move will extend MTV's Greater China reach to 10 million households.
Redstone said Viacom had also furthered its relationship with CCTV's kids' channel, launched in March, licensing all available episodes of two Nickelodeon shows currently airing on CCTV, CatDog and The Wild Thornberrys, with discussions underway to air CCTV-produced content outside China.
This article was first published on Media Asia
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Senior Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £Excellent Salary Package , South East England / London (Greater)
- Innovation Senior Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £48,000 + Car/Car Allowance, South East England
- Digital Marketing Specialist Colyer London £25000 per annum, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Brand Manager Diageo Great reward package for great talent, Amsterdam / Dublin / Madrid / London (Greater)
- Digital Display Executive (fashion e-commerce) Farfetch Competitive + bonus + benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Campaign Marketing Manager EMAP Competitive + Bonus, London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater)