WPP acquires Chinese market research company Oracle
LONDON - WPP Group's insight, information and consultancy division Kantar has acquired Chinese market research firm Oracle, one of the largest independent market research firms in China.
The deal includes acquisition of Hong Kong-based Oracle Market Research and Oracle Market Information & Software Services, which is based in Beijing.
As part of the deal, the Oracle operation is to join Kantar's Added Value network and will change its name to Oracle Added Value.
Oracle also has offices in Shanghai and Guangzhou and clients include Coca-Cola, Unilever, Bristol Meyers Squibb, Danone and HSBC. It employs 130 people and last year recorded an annual revenue of $8.4m.
According to WPP, the acquisition "continues WPP's strategy of developing its capabilities in fast-growing and important markets".
Earlier this month, Enlightenment, the customer intelligence service set up by Kantar companies BRMB and Millward Brown, announced the appointment of Sandy Livingstone as business development director. At the same time Enlightenment also unveiled internet bank Egg as its first client.
WPP sees market research as one of its growth areas as clients see the sector as increasingly important.
This is one of the reasons why Tamara Ingram, the former chief executive of Saatchi & Saatchi and McCann-Erickson UK, was last year named president of three Kantar insight companies.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Marketing Manager - Inbound Tourism - Dubai Based MCG Associates Tax Free Competitive Package, Dubai, UAE
- Senior Account Manager - Saudi Arabia - PR MCG Associates Tax Free Package, Riyadh. KSA
- Digital Advertising Manager - High End Lifestyle Ultimate Asset £43000 - £50000 per annum + commission & excellent benefits, London
- Media Exec - Leading Media Agency - Mobile Sector Ultimate Asset £22000 - £26000 per annum + Amazing Benefits, London
- Biddable Paid Social Senior Executive - Top 10 Agency Ultimate Asset £25000 - £30000 per annum + Amazing Benefits, London
- Account handler ready for an immediate start? Freelance, Contract or Temp to Perm? Barker Graves Up to £250/day, central london