Exploding banner pushes AOL's interactive marketing
LONDON - An exploding banner ad is at the centre of a new AOL ad campaign, promoting the benefits of internet advertising along with its new UK interactive marketing division.
The campaign has been created by Lean Mean Fighting Machine and breaks this week across media websites.
It aims to demonstrate the power of the internet as an advertising medium by challenging preconceptions of what a banner ad can do. In one ad, a plain-looking, unbranded banner reads "I bet you think I'm useless". But when the user rolls their mouse over the ad, it turns red and starts shaking, before shattering into pieces and revealing an AOL ad underneath.
Dave Bedwood, creative director at Lean Mean, said: "For years, online creatives have battled against low file sizes and restrictive formats. But now there are real opportunities for online advertisements to be more than just a three-frame product shot.
"We wanted to make a series of epic banners that go beyond getting the message across in a split second, but give people the option of exploring further."
The ads are being tracked by Eyeblaster to measure the amount of time audiences spend interacting with the banner. They can be viewed here.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Regional Corporate Senior Executive - Volunteer Fundraising (Home Based) Cancer Research UK £25000 - £29000 per annum + Car + Excellent benefits, Nationwide
- Regional Corporate Executive - Volunteer Fundraising (Home Based) Cancer Research UK £20000 - £24000 per annum + Car + Excellent benefits, Nationwide
- ACCOUNT DIRECTORS - Integrated/ATL/TTL/BTL/SP/Shopper/Retail - London - up to £50k Judi Patton £40k-£50k plus excellent benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Digital Delivery Manager Cancer Research UK £35000 per annum + excellent benefits, London
- BTL AGENCY ACCOUNT HANDLERS - integrated, shopper, sales promotion, retail, digital Judi Patton £22K-£55K, London (Central), London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater) / London (North), London (Gr...
- Client Partner The Great & The Good £80000 - £90000 per annum + significant benefits, London