Channel 4's head of drama Yorke could return to BBC
LONDON - John Yorke, Channel 4's head of drama who commissioned hits 'Shameless' and 'No Angels', is reported to be considering a move back to the BBC.
According to a reports, the former BBC executive producer, who jumped ship to join Channel 4 last year, is in negotiations with the BBC and is being tipped to rejoin the corporation in January.
A move back to the BBC as head of drama series would entail a senior commissioning role, as well as overseeing channel stalwarts 'EastEnders', 'Casualty' and 'Holby City'.
Yorke is believed to have held talks with Channel 4 director of programmes Kevin Lygo.
The departure of three BBC senior executives -- controller of continuing series Mal Young and head of drama series development Serena Cullen to Simon Fuller's 19TV, and head of drama commissioning Gareth Neame to production company Carnival -- has hit the corporation's creative talent pool.
'EastEnders' executive producer Louise Berridge also handed in her notice last month, amid a poor ratings run for the soap, which saw audiences fall to an all-time low of 6m.
Insiders say the BBC is in urgent need of a surge of creative talent and Yorke, who spent two-and-a-half years at the corporation before leaving to join Channel 4 in March last year, is seen by some as the man for the job.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Account Director AF Selection £35,000 - £38,000 plus car, Birmingham
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Global Insight Director Ball & Hoolahan £75,000 + CA + benefits, London
- Marketing & PR Executive Tarsh Lazare Marketing Recruitment To £23,500, West Sussex