MmO2 and 3 in legal row over use of bubbles in ads
LONDON - MmO2 is to seek a High Court injunction later this week to stop rival mobile operator 3 from using bubbles in its advertising.
The mobile phone giant, formerly known as BT Cellnet, is set to argue that 3, owned by Hutchison Whampoa, has infringed on its trademarks by using bubble images for a campaign for its pay-as-you-go service Three Pay that involved broadcast and print media in August.
MMO2 has used the oxygen bubbles for its advertising since 2001. According to media reports, the firm will also look for damages.
A spokesman for MmO2 said: "We believe that it is particularly important to protect what we see as synonymous with our brand." He added that the matter is due before the High Court this Friday and declined to comment on the amount of damages being sought.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Head of Marketing and Communications Alexandra Palace Trading £40,000 + bonus + benefits, London (Greater)
- Senior Account Manager Ice (London) Ltd Competitive Salary dependent on experience, Windsor, Berkshire
- Head of Engagement Planning (UK) BespokeHR £80,000 - £85,000, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Interim Head of Brand The Rank Group To attract the right person!, Maidenhead, Berkshire
- Marketing Manager - Entertainments Ball & Hoolahan £55,000 + Car/Car Allowance , South East England
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Retail - London/Greater London - Salary depending on experience Judi Patton depending on experience, Hertfordshire / London (Greater) / London (North), London (Greater) / London (South), London (Gre...