Sir Elton John developing sitcom about ageing rockstar
LONDON – Sir Elton John is reported to be developing a sitcom in the US about an ageing rock star, but the veteran singer is adamant the central character will not be based on himself.
According to an interview with John in entertainment trade paper Variety, the series is being developed for ABC and focuses on the life of a music superstar and the people around him.
John adds that rather than basing the fictional star on himself, the star promises to be more a mix of other pop icons, including Mick Jagger and Freddie Mercury.
He told the paper: "It's not about me, but about everybody we've encountered over the past 30 years. We've met every star and seen every misbehaviour. And it's about the people around the star, who have to put up with them. It's an upmarket 'Spinal Tap'."
The original idea, Variety adds, came from John's business manger Bob Halley and the series also involves 'Sex and the City' screenwriter Cindy Chupack as well as the development of a complete musical history for the character, taking in the 70s, 80s, 90s and modern day.
It is also understood that John has written a song for the project, the track 'Him and Us' on his forthcoming 'Peachtree Road' album.
Elton John has sent up himself up in another sitcom, in a bitchy turn in the sitcom 'Will and Grace', which aired in 2002.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Marketing Manager Fidelity Worldwide Investment Dependent on Experience, Surrey
- Marketing Manager Ibiza Rocks Salary: £30K-34K DOE, Based in London head office
- Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £40,000 + Car/ Car Allowance, South East England
- Senior Designer Gabriele Skelton Ã‚£40000 per annum, City of London
- Creative Director, PR Agency, London Office + Great Benefits Fleishman-Hillard Up to £100,000, dep on experience, London (Central), London (Greater)
- ACCOUNT DIRECTORS - Integrated/ATL/TTL/BTL/SP/Shopper/Retail - London - up to £50k Judi Patton £40k-£50k plus excellent benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)