Black consumer magazine Spotlight plans UK launch
LONDON - Spotlight, a new consumer lifestyle magazine for ABC1, 21- to 40-year-old black readers in the UK and overseas, is to be launched early next year, with a soft launch already under way.
Brownstone Media, a Birmingham-based company with interests in film production, has revealed its plans for the title, which it says will be published every two months from February. It will have an initial print run of 80,000, with 60% of sales expected in the UK, where the cover price will be £2.80, 20% in North America, 7% in Europe, 10% in Africa and 3% in the Caribbean.
Winifred Greywoode, operations director at Brownstone Media, said: "The magazine market is extremely competitive, but there is a gap for a quality, aspirational, news-led publication targeted at ABC1 black professionals.
"The 'brown pound' is estimated to be worth £32bn in the UK and with black culture leading the way in many areas we believe this is the time to launch a magazine targeted at this intelligent and affluent trend-setting group."
The plan is to support the launch with advertising, trade and consumer PR, and sampling, from this month, targeting busy locations in major cities around the UK. In addition, there will be an awards ceremony, the Spotlight on Black Achievers Awards, honouring contributions and achievements within the black community on a global level, to mark the launch of the magazine.
The magazine will be edited by writer and producer Victoria Thomas and will include celebrity guest columnists from the UK and overseas, including ex-'Cosby Show' star Joseph Phillips and author and director Daryl James.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director - Top London Advertising Agency c£50k Fill Recruitment Ltd c£50k, Central London
- Visual Merchandising Project Manager - Luxury CG Jarlett de Grouchy £35000 per annum + bonus + benefits, Wimbledon
- Case Manager/Administrator - Pensions Regan & Dean Recruitment Limited £25000 - £30000 per annum + excellent bens, London
- Interim Brand Manager Better Placed Recruitment £30000 - £40000 per annum, North West England
- Senior Account Manager, Top Booze Brand, eCRM & Digital, up to £38k MODA consult up to £38k + benefits, Central London
- Social Media Account Manager Search Party 30-40k, Central London