Trading Nation taps WPN for eBay service launch task
LONDON – Trading Nation, a service that plans to sell goods on eBay on behalf of people, has appointed direct marketing agency Watson Phillips Norman to handle its launch.
Trading Nation is based on the idea that while the use of eBay is growing dramatically, the vast majority of people buy but do not sell despite UK households having up to £3.2bn unused worth of goods sitting in attics, basements, or spare rooms, which could be profitably sold.
Research in the UK has confirmed that, as in the US, many people see the selling process as too difficult and time consuming. Trading Nation offers a simple, convenient service that allows people to drop off any items worth £30 or more and get a cheque in the post a few weeks later.
Phil Harrison, marketing director of Trading Nation, said: "Trading Nation is a new business concept in the UK. As a business it serves individuals, charities and businesses who want to sell items on eBay but either lack the resources, the skills or the time.
"When we started we wanted to make sure that our agency partner understood brand constructs, consumer motivations and the business-to-business world. We were seeking a partner with creative skill, as well as functional expertise. WPN fitted this bill for us."
WPN will develop press activity, direct mail, targeted door-drops, and co-branded material to be distributed through participating charities.
Tod Norman, brand planning partner of WPN, added: "We're excited to be working with this market making venture. Trading Nation has identified a real opportunity created by new technology, and has the skill and backing to grab first mover advantage. Given the 'all new' quality -- both in the market and for the brand -- there's a lot of learning to be done, so it's the kind of challenge we relish."
Additionally, Trading Nation is now trialling the service with a number of charities, confident they can attract higher value items, which to date donors have felt were inappropriate for donation to high-street retail outlets.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Junior Account Director / Account Director - Fabulous Global Agency - Central London - to £47k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £47k, Central London
- business director > TOP LONDON AGENCY > ATL collectivo Up to £90,000 + great benefits, London
- ACCOUNT MANAGER | Integrated Agency | Confectionery | up to £30k Judi Patton up to £30k, London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - Creative London Agency - MOBILE/Social Media - £40-47k Judi Patton £40-47k, London
- General Manager - Integrated Advertising Agency - Dubai MCG Associates Tax Free Competitive Package, Dubai, UAE
- MIDWEIGHT DESIGNER - award winning global agency! Live Recruitment £30000 - £35000 per annum, City of London