Greater China: NBA play-offs in China pip Grand Prix viewership
BEIJING/SHANGHAI: The first NBA games played in China pulled in the highest TV ratings since the summer Olympics, according to Nielsen Media Research (NMR).
NMR recorded 11.5 rating points for the pre-season playoffs in Shanghai and Beijing in mid-October compared with the same month's inaugural Shanghai Grand Prix's 9.6's rating points. It helped that the pre-season games featured Chinese hoop star Yao Ming playing with the Houston Rockets against the Sacramento Kings. The games were broadcast on Shanghai Sports Channel and CCTV-5. The ratings equate to just over one million viewers. Siabhan Duguid, director of Field Asia linked the viewership levels to the NBA's early investment in China. "It has been a slow, steady burn, centered around TV coverage of its regular games with a view to building loyalty."
This article was first published on Media Asia
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Head of Digital Operations Macmillan Cancer Support £50,000 - £55,000 +Benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Content Marketing and SEO Manager Lynda Up to £40,000, Central London
- Digital Delivery Manager Cancer Research UK £35000 per annum + + excellent benefits, London
- BTL AGENCY ACCOUNT HANDLERS - integrated, shopper, sales promotion, retail, digital Judi Patton £22K-£55K, London (Central), London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater) / London (North), London (Gr...
- Senior Account Manager The Great & The Good £35000 - £40000 per annum + great benefits , London
- Client Partner The Great & The Good £80000 - £90000 per annum + significant benefits, London