Greater China: NBA play-offs in China pip Grand Prix viewership
BEIJING/SHANGHAI: The first NBA games played in China pulled in the highest TV ratings since the summer Olympics, according to Nielsen Media Research (NMR).
NMR recorded 11.5 rating points for the pre-season playoffs in Shanghai and Beijing in mid-October compared with the same month's inaugural Shanghai Grand Prix's 9.6's rating points. It helped that the pre-season games featured Chinese hoop star Yao Ming playing with the Houston Rockets against the Sacramento Kings. The games were broadcast on Shanghai Sports Channel and CCTV-5. The ratings equate to just over one million viewers. Siabhan Duguid, director of Field Asia linked the viewership levels to the NBA's early investment in China. "It has been a slow, steady burn, centered around TV coverage of its regular games with a view to building loyalty."
This article was first published on Media Asia
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Head of Marketing and Communications Alexandra Palace Trading £40,000 + bonus + benefits, London (Greater)
- Senior Account Manager Ice (London) Ltd Competitive Salary dependent on experience, Windsor, Berkshire
- Head of Engagement Planning (UK) BespokeHR £80,000 - £85,000, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Interim Head of Brand The Rank Group To attract the right person!, Maidenhead, Berkshire
- Marketing Manager - Entertainments Ball & Hoolahan £55,000 + Car/Car Allowance , South East England
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Retail - London/Greater London - Salary depending on experience Judi Patton depending on experience, Hertfordshire / London (Greater) / London (North), London (Greater) / London (South), London (Gre...