Postcomm cracks down on unlicensed mail operator
LONDON – The postal regulator Postcomm has successfully prosecuted a company, and its managing director, for collecting and delivering mail without a licence, resulting in a £17,000 fine, in the first action of its type.
The company, Deltec International Courier, was also ordered to pay £60,000 costs. Deltec was convicted at Bow Street Magistrates Court last week on all 11 counts on which it was charged, under section six of the Postal Services Act 2000, for conveying letters without a licence.
Barry Ellis, Deltec managing director, was convicted on 11 counts under section 120 of the Act for conniving in, consenting to or being neglectful of the offences by the company.
Nigel Stapleton, Postcomm chairman, said: "Prosecution isn't an activity we take lightly. In this case, Deltec was made aware on a number of occasions that it required a licence and chose to act outside the law.
"Protecting mail integrity through licensing is a vital safeguard for customers as we open up the market. All legitimate operators must have licences and we will take firm action against anybody who deliberately operates without one."
A minimum seven-year licence would have cost Deltec around £1,000, a Postcomm spokesperson said.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Head of Marketing and Communications Alexandra Palace Trading £40,000 + bonus + benefits, London (Greater)
- Senior Account Manager Ice (London) Ltd Competitive Salary dependent on experience, Windsor, Berkshire
- Head of Engagement Planning (UK) BespokeHR £80,000 - £85,000, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Interim Head of Brand The Rank Group To attract the right person!, Maidenhead, Berkshire
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Retail - London/Greater London - Salary depending on experience Judi Patton depending on experience, Hertfordshire / London (Greater) / London (North), London (Greater) / London (South), London (Gre...
- Campaign Manager Adam Recruitment Negotiable, Basingstoke