Nike co-founder Philip Knight stands down as Nike CEO
NEW YORK- Nike co-founder Philip Knight is to stand down as chief executive officer, but will remain with the sportswear giant as chairman of the board.
Knight, who started the business that became Nike in 1962 by selling trainers from the back of his car, will be replaced by William Perez, who has been president and chief executive officer of consumer goods giant SC Johnson & Son since 1996.
Commenting on the move, Knight said: "This begins an exciting new chapter in Nike's ongoing business evolution. I am confident that as CEO of Nike, Bill will lead Nike's extraordinary team of people to create an even bigger and better global company."
Perez joined SC Johnson & Son, which produces brands including Windex, 34 years ago, holding positions in marketing, brand management and general management before taking his current role. He is set to replace Knight on December 28 and takes the title of president and chief executive officer.
Perez, who is also on the board of directors of Kellogg Company, Hallmark Cards and Grocery Manufacturers of America, said he was honoured to run Nike.
"I was drawn to the company because the Nike brand perpetually stays current, making it one of the best managed on the globe."
Earlier this month, Nike unveiled a new advertising campaign for its Shox 2:45 shoes, shelving big name athletes in the creative in favour of a 'Mr Average' character.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager EMEA Callaway Golf Europe Ltd circa £50,000 pa plus benefits, based in Chessington, Surrey
- Comms Account Manager- HUGE travel client £37K Ultimate Asset £35000 - £37000 per annum, City of London