Nike co-founder Philip Knight stands down as Nike CEO
NEW YORK- Nike co-founder Philip Knight is to stand down as chief executive officer, but will remain with the sportswear giant as chairman of the board.
Knight, who started the business that became Nike in 1962 by selling trainers from the back of his car, will be replaced by William Perez, who has been president and chief executive officer of consumer goods giant SC Johnson & Son since 1996.
Commenting on the move, Knight said: "This begins an exciting new chapter in Nike's ongoing business evolution. I am confident that as CEO of Nike, Bill will lead Nike's extraordinary team of people to create an even bigger and better global company."
Perez joined SC Johnson & Son, which produces brands including Windex, 34 years ago, holding positions in marketing, brand management and general management before taking his current role. He is set to replace Knight on December 28 and takes the title of president and chief executive officer.
Perez, who is also on the board of directors of Kellogg Company, Hallmark Cards and Grocery Manufacturers of America, said he was honoured to run Nike.
"I was drawn to the company because the Nike brand perpetually stays current, making it one of the best managed on the globe."
Earlier this month, Nike unveiled a new advertising campaign for its Shox 2:45 shoes, shelving big name athletes in the creative in favour of a 'Mr Average' character.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Online Sales Manager Ultimate Asset £25000 - £35000 per annum + Excellent Commission Potential, London
- Agency Sales Manager Ultimate Asset £23000 - £27000 per annum + Amazing benefits, London
- Agency Account Manager Ultimate Asset £27000 - £30000 per annum + Excellent Commission Potential, London
- Account Managers and Executives Needed Ultimate Asset £23000 - £25000 per annum + Excellent Benefits, London
- Commercial Head of Branded Content-Established Digital Business Ultimate Asset £65000 - £76000 per annum + bonus and huge benefits , London
- PPC Senior Executive - Big Brand - PPC Ultimate Asset £23000 - £28000 per annum + Amazing Benefits, London