Beckham among stars in latest London 2012 campaign
LONDON - David Beckham puts in a tongue-in-cheek performance as one of a host of celebrities starring in a promotional film to support London's bid to stage the Olympics in 2012.
The video, being made available through bid organisation London 2012's website from today, has been launched to promote the bid overseas and has also been sent to the International Olympic Committee.
The full details of London's bid were revealed today as Prime Minister Tony Blair said that it was within Britain's grasp.
The film, called "sport at heart", involves a number of scenarios set in London featuring British celebrities, all linked by an aspiring female jogger running past some of the capital's most recognisable landmarks.
In the tongue-in-cheek film, Beckham is seen taking inspiration from the passing runner to find the answer to a crossword clue while sitting in a London cafe.
"I was born in Leytonstone in Waltham Forest, one of the host boroughs for the London Olympics, and I played football on Hackney Marshes as a kid, so I'm very keen to support the 2012 bid," Beckham said. "It would be great if the games came to Britain where people really appreciate their sport."
Also appearing in the film is Sir Roger Moore, who reprises his James Bond role outside the M16 building on the Thames, and Olympic rower Matthew Pinsent is seen in a dinghy on the Serpentine.
Others featured include the actresses Dame Helen Mirren and Martine McCutcheon, as well as Olympic double gold medallist Kelly Holmes and the gold-winning boxer Amir Khan.
This is London 2012's most ambitious promotional film yet in terms of star appeal, with previous promotional efforts featuring footage of former Olympians and a film fronted by TV presenter Sue Barker.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director - Top London Advertising Agency c£50k Fill Recruitment Ltd c£50k, Central London
- Senior Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £55,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London
- Midweight Creative Team - digital and direct The Industry Club London Ltd £35,000, Central London
- Marketing Analyst JV Recruitment £30000 - £40000 per annum, Benefits: Benefits, Halifax
- Midweight Designer Pitch Consultants £25000 - £30000 per annum, West Midlands
- Senior Art Director Pitch Consultants £35000 - £45000 per annum + benefits, Warwickshire