LONDON - He might be a convicted pot smoker, but Sir Paul McCartney is unlikely to be baring any flesh or leave CBS with a $550,000 headache as the former Beatle is signed up to provide the halftime entertainment for the coming Super Bowl.
Last February, Janet Jackson and Justin Timberlake ignited a storm that blew into a $550,000 Federal Communications Commission fine that CBS is now fighting, after Jackson's breast was revealed during her halftime set with the former 'N Sync singer.
Jackson claimed it was a "wardrobe malfunction", but this did not save CBS, which claimed to have no knowledge that it was going to happen.
This year's signing, with a nod to family values, is designed to tap into the 62-year-old singer's cross-generational appeal to ensure that there is no such repeat.
Brian McCarthy, a spokesman for the National Football League, told Reuters that there would not be any such malfunctions during the 12-minute show on Fox.
He said he knew that the halftime performance would be under the spotlight and that, in light of that, all aspects of the show had been thoroughly looked at.
"We've looked at all facets of the show including talent selection, song selection and costume selection, to ensure we wouldn't have a repeat of what happened last year. We're very comfortable that this year's show will be acceptable to a mass audience and won't have any issues," he said.
The performance marks McCartney's second Super Bowl. He appeared at halftime in 2002, which was the first Super Bowl following the September 11 attacks.
In a statement, McCartney said: "There's nothing bigger then being asked to perform at the Super Bowl. We're looking forward to rocking the millions at home and in the stadium."
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.