Rachel Hunter leads castaways for Real Gilligan's Island
NEW YORK - Model Rachel Hunter is leading a group of castaways in a new US reality television show that aims to recreate the 1960s sitcom 'Gilligan's Island'.
The programme, 'The Real Gilligan's Island', will see two teams of castaways competing to escape the desert island, with each member of the team representing one of the characters in the sitcom.
Two real-life skippers have been recruited, along with two "Gilligans". They will be joined by two couples who are millionaires in real life, filling the role of Thurston Howell III and his wife Lovey; two farm girls, to play Mary-Ann; as well as two professors, who will have to try and match the feats of the Professor, and his ability to turn coconut shells into electrical equipment.
Rachel Hunter will take on the role of Ginger, the movie star. Her counterpart on the other team is former 'Baywatch' star Nicole Eggert.
The show is to air on US network TBS, part of Turner Broadcasting System, starting next week.
TBS said: "Just like in the original show, our new castaways will have to work together to get off the island. To add to the challenge, they'll even relive some of the bizarre scenarios from the classic series. Tropical paradise? Not for these castaways."
'Gilligan's Island' first appeared in 1964, and is famous for its catchy theme tune and the mysterious ability of the castaways to fashion complex housing and a pedal car out of trees, but not a canoe so that they could escape.
The cast, minus the original Ginger, reunited in 1978 for a television movie called 'Rescue from Gilligan's Island', which showed them trying to readjust to life back in society.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Head of Marketing Operations - Fixed Term Contract 12 months NEST Corporation Competitve, London
- Senior Account Manager / First Time Account Director Content is King £35k - £45k per annum dependent on experience, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Head of Acquisition & Retention NEST Corporation Competitive, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Group Account Director - Experiential Agency The Great & The Good £65000 - £70000 per annum, London
- Account Director The Great & The Good £45000 - £50000 per annum, West End
- Social Media Manager Ball & Hoolahan £48,000, London (Central), London (Greater)