Incepta and Chime confirm merger talks were held
LONDON - Chime Communications, the public relations holding company run by Lord Bell, has confirmed that it held merger talks with rival marketing services firm Incepta Group, but said that the talks have ceased.
Statements were issued by Chime and Incepta this morning, following a report in the Sunday Telegraph that the two companies, which own some of the UK's biggest PR consultancies, had held "extensive" merger talks.
Incepta said it confirmed that merger talks have been held with Chime in the past, adding "but these discussions ceased without reaching an agreement".
Such a deal would have brought together some of the leading financial PR shops, including Citigate Dewe Rogerson, owned by Incepta, and Bell Pottinger Financial, part of Chime. Incepta also owns consumer PR agency the RED Consultancy, while Chime is home to Good Relations.
The Sunday Telegraph reported that the talks were thought to have been instigated by Lord Bell, chairman of Chime and a former PR adviser to Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher.
Any agreement would have had to have the blessing of Sir Martin Sorrell, because WPP owns a 20% stake in Chime. He is said to have approved of the talks in principle, as long as Chime secured fair terms from its larger rival Incepta.
Incepta and Chime both lost money in 2003 but last month Incepta, which is headed by Tory MP Francis Maude, said operating profit for the first half of the year was up 12% to £8.1m. In September, Chime reported that it had returned to profit, making £3.2m before tax for the first half of the year, compared with a loss of £5.3m the same time in 2003.
Shares in Chime Communications were up by 4.4% to 28.18p, a rise of 1.18p, while Incepta was unchanged first thing morning at 71p.
Chime also owns creative agency Heresy, while Incepta owns market research firm Incepta Marketing Intelligence as well as other below-the-line interests.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Regional Corporate Senior Executive - Volunteer Fundraising (Home Based) Cancer Research UK £25000 - £29000 per annum + Car + Excellent benefits, Nationwide
- Regional Corporate Executive - Volunteer Fundraising (Home Based) Cancer Research UK £20000 - £24000 per annum + Car + Excellent benefits, Nationwide
- ACCOUNT DIRECTORS - Integrated/ATL/TTL/BTL/SP/Shopper/Retail - London - up to £50k Judi Patton £40k-£50k plus excellent benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Digital Delivery Manager Cancer Research UK £35000 per annum + excellent benefits, London
- BTL AGENCY ACCOUNT HANDLERS - integrated, shopper, sales promotion, retail, digital Judi Patton £22K-£55K, London (Central), London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater) / London (North), London (Gr...
- Client Partner The Great & The Good £80000 - £90000 per annum + significant benefits, London