Celebrities get messy for Oxfam's fair trade campaign
LONDON- A host of celebrities, including REM's Michael Stipe and Radiohead's Thom Yorke are soaked in wet, sticky food to highlight food dumping by the EU and the US as part of Oxfam's latest promotional fair trade campaign.
Called "Ever felt dumped on?", the campaign, which soaks the stars in a variety of products such as rice and milk, aims to highlight the dumping by EU countries and the US of surplus goods on developing nations.
The campaign features a series of photographs featuring celebrities having products dumped on them. Alongside Stipe, covered in milk, and Yorke, covered in liquid cocoa, is 'Bridget Jones' actor Colin Firth, who is covered in coffee.
A key aim of the publicity, which included front page coverage in The Observer magazine yesterday, is to encourage people to sign the charity's Big Noise petition to make trade fair.
According to a spokesperson for Oxfam: "These incredible images illustrate a story. A story about how poor farmers are being dumped on every day by rich countries and rich companies... if we all join together and make a big enough noise, politicians and corporate bosses will have to listen."
Others celebrities taking part include Jamelia, who is seen covered in feathers, the actor Antonio Banderas, who is coated in corn. Coldplay's Chris Martin, Alanis Morissette and the Finn brothers, formerly of Crowded House, also took part.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager EMEA Callaway Golf Europe Ltd circa £50,000 pa plus benefits, based in Chessington, Surrey
- Client Account Manager Content is King c. £25k per annum dependent on experience, SW1