PlayStation unveils Killzone with propaganda pack
LONDON – Sony PlayStation is promoting its new PS2 game 'Killzone' with a direct campaign to 140,000 registered gamers created by Claydon Heeley Jones Mason.
The campaign creates a sense of fear and anticipation ahead of the release of the game, in which gamers have to fight an invading enemy called the Helghast in a realistic urban environment.
The mail packs are in the style of Helghast propaganda and carry the message "The Helghast are coming".
Killzone, developed by Guerrilla Games, is a highly anticipated first person shooter, which Sony hopes will rival Microsoft's massive 'Halo' hit on the Xbox, a sequel to which, 'Halo 2', has just been released.
Within the pack is a "Terms of Surrender" memo from the Helghast High Command, printed on old paper reminiscent of World War II stationery, which warns gamers that their only hope of survival is to "embrace the way of your new masters". The only way to be spared, according to the mandate, is by bearing the Helghast standard, supplied in the form of stickers.
An accompanying leaflet entitled "Stamping out global resistance" encourages players to join forces over a broadband network and instructs them how to set up their PS2 to give them power to fight back with other gamers.
By "surrendering" their details on the response card, gamers could also win a limited-edition PS2 and free BT Broadband for a year.
In addition to the direct mail campaign, there is an online campaign. This features a range of interactive elements created by Holler. One desktop tool allows gamers to download a set of 'Killzone' firing and running characters to their desktop, which can be picked up, prodded and thrown across the screen as a way to get into the spirit of the game before its release.
The campaign was art directed by Nick Thompson and copywritten by Josh Haines.
The Killzone website was developed by Randommedia.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Campaign Marketing Manager EMAP Competitive + Bonus, London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater)
- Business Development Manager EMAP Competitive + Bonus, London (Greater) / London (Central), London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater)
- Digital Acquisition Manager - Leading Online Biz GoodEgg Digital £70k + Bonus and Benefits, United Kingdom / England / North West England / Lancashire / Manchester, Greater Manchester
- Search Marketing Manager - International Markets Search Laboratory £24,000 - £30,000 per annum + benefits , Yorkshire and the Humber / North Yorkshire / West Yorkshire / Harrogate, North Yorkshire / Leeds,...
- Senior Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £Excellent Salary Package , South East England / London (Greater)
- Marketing Communications Senior Manager Lloyd's of London Competitive salary and benefits package , London (City of), London (Greater)