BSkyB heads poll of most admired media companies
LONDON - A year on from James Murdoch's controversial appointment as chief executive of BSkyB, the company has topped a poll of the most admired media companies, beating WPP Group into second place.
BSkyB was voted into first place a poll of media industry peers, part of the Management Today Most Admired Company Awards.
The company, which has seen pre-tax profits rise by £480m over the 2003/04 period, was also voted as having the most admired marketing, a fact that will cheer Murdoch, who is under pressure to increase subscriber numbers to 10m subscribers by 2010.
His appointment in November 2003 was greeted with dismay by BSkyB shareholders, who felt that he had been appointed because of his name, rather than his proven ability to run a company. However, his father Rupert has continually insisted that he was the right man for the job.
However, it was not all good news for the satellite broadcaster, which saw its position in the overall ranking slip from eighth place last year to 22nd this year, meaning that no media company made the top 20.
Cadbury Schweppes was named the UK's most admired company overall in 2004, beating off competition from Unilever and BP. Tesco, the 2003 winner, slipped back into fourth position.
For the media companies list, Pearson, publisher of the Financial Times, was in third, ahead of Reed Elsevier, Emap and ITV.
The winners were named at the MT Summit yesterday, conducted in association with Mercer Human Resource Consulting.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- SENIOR DIGITAL PLANNER - INTEGRATED AGENCY Live Recruitment £50000 - £70000 per annum, City of London
- Digital Marketing Manager - Ardington Ltd Ball & Hoolahan £Competitive Salary Package, South East
- Brand Activation Manager Ball & Hoolahan £36,000 + Car/Car Allowance, South East
- Marketing Manager - Inbound Tourism - Dubai Based MCG Associates Tax Free Competitive Package, Dubai, UAE
- Senior Account Manager - Saudi Arabia - PR MCG Associates Tax Free Package, Riyadh. KSA
- Digital Advertising Manager - High End Lifestyle Ultimate Asset £43000 - £50000 per annum + commission & excellent benefits, London