Springer Opera and Office's Freeman lead Two's line-up
LONDON - A new comedy series starring 'The Office''s Martin Freeman, the TV debut of 'Jerry Springer: The Opera' and Anne Widdecombe as an agony aunt make up some of BBC Two's winter season highlights.
'The Robinsons', starring Freeman, best known for his loveable character Tim from 'The Office', gives a humourous look into a south London family, where Freeman plays the black sheep.
The controversial musical 'Jerry Springer: The Opera' gets its TV debut and politician Anne Widdecombe steps into a new role as an agony aunt attempting to solve family crises, love quandaries and workplace spats in 'The Ann Widdecombe Project'.
Roly Keating, controller of BBC Two, said: "Viewers can expect an eclectic mix of the surprising, the intelligent and the funny on BBC Two this winter."
Other highlights include explorer Bruce Parry in the documentary 'Tribe' visiting six of the remotest tribes in the world.
'My Life as a Child' is a take on the world as seen through the eyes of a group of children aged five to 11, who are given charge of TV cameras to film in their own time and on their own terms.
'The Full Monty' star Hugo Speer and 'Coronation Street''s Sarah Lancashire star in an adaptation of Jonathan Coe's novel 'The Rotters Club'. Set in the 70s, the story follows three families from Birmingham as they struggle with class conflict.
The UK version of the hit US TV series 'The Apprentice' comes to BBC Two this winter, with entrepreneur Sir Alan Sugar stepping into the shoes of Donald Trump as the search begins for the best young business talent to join his enterprise.
Each week, the potentials carry out a task with one being fired. The show has achieved great ratings in the US on NBC and is now about to begin its third series.
Other programmes to watch out for on BBC Two include: 'Cockerall on Howard', a look at the Tory leader Michael Howard; and 'Around the World in 80 Treasures', visiting 80 of the world's greatest treasures.
A major new documentary series, 'Auschwitz', will commemorate Holocaust Memorial Day.
Yesterday, BBC One unveiled its winter season with the return of 'Dr Who', factual drama 'Supervolcano' and comedy from 'The Two Ronnies Sketchbook' headlining.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Senior Digital Creative Manager UCAS £comp + 25-days leave, flexible benefits and other fringe benefits, including Xmas closure , Cheltenham, Gloucestershire
- Senior Fundraising Development Officer Comic Relief From £35,000pa, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Digital Operations Manager Tottenham Hotspur Football Club Up to £55,000 + Bonus, North London
- Consumer Activation Controller Mast-Jaegermeister UK Limited Salary depending on experience. Additional bonus, pension, BUPA, life assurance, 25 days' holiday., Camberley, Surrey
- PR Manager AF Selection £25,000 - £35,000 + Benefits, Manchester, Greater Manchester
- ACCOUNT DIRECTORS - Integrated/ATL/TTL/BTL/SP/Shopper/Retail - London - up to £45k Judi Patton £40k-£45k plus excellent benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)