Five expands acquistions chief Jeff Ford's role to drama
LONDON – Five's managing editor and director of acquisitions Jeff Ford, the man who masterminded the acquisition of 'Friends' spin-off 'Joey', has been given responsibility for commissioning the channel's drama output.
As well as overseeing the channel's daily soap 'Family Affairs', Ford will commission new drama series.
He will take up the new role with immediate effect and will continue to hold his responsibilities as acquisitions chief and managing director.
Five has also appointed Abigail Webber as drama consultant to support Ford in his new role and has announced it will appoint a deputy to assist in acquired programming in the New Year.
Ford said: "Compared with our rivals we don't commission huge amounts of drama, so it'll be my job to ensure that we take a few risks and try things that other channels don't."
Ford joined Five in November 1997 from ITV Network Centre, where he had been controller of acquisitions since January 1995, and was made the channel's managing editor in September 2003.
The role saw Ford manage the programming department's finances, staff development and training, and internal communications, as well as deputising for the director of programmes.
Prior to being controller of acquisitions at ITV, Ford headed Carlton and Central TV's acquisitions departments. He has also worked at Yorkshire and Anglia TV and started his career in the BBC film library and acquisitions department.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Vice President Marketing Communications Direct Recruitment £75,000 - £79,000, London
- Account Director - Integrated - [Digital / Promotions] - Dynamic agency! to £49k Fill Recruitment Ltd £45k - £49k + superb bonus & benefits, Central London
- Partnerships Manager Ball & Hoolahan £60,000 per annum, London
- Head of Marketing - Luxury Ball & Hoolahan £70,000 + benefits, London
- Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £38,000 per annum, South East
- Brand Communications Manager Ball & Hoolahan £40,000 + benefits, South East