Ubisoft and SubTV launch inter-university tournament
LONDON - Videogame publisher Ubisoft and student TV channel Sub TV have teamed up to produce the first inter-university gaming tournament for XBox and PlayStation2 game 'Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon 2'.
Ubisoft has kitted out 14 UK universities, including Manchester, Leeds, Cardiff and the London School of Economics with two Xbox and two PlayStation2 gaming pods to compete in the tournament.
The Xbox consoles will be broadband enabled to allow multiplaying by Xbox Live.
The competition begins by finding two local champions, who will then compete as a pair for the title of Inter-University Champions, a £1,500 prize fund and BT Broadband line free for a year.
The event will be filmed live and streamed via the SubTV network and a dedicated event website set up by Ubisoft.
Jason Barrett of SubTV said: "This is a huge event for SubTV. It is extremely exciting and satisfying to be involved in creating the very first multiplayer, real-time, location-based gaming competition within SubTV's university locations."
SubTV, installed in 55 universities across the UK, offers local content and advertising, sponsored programming, promotional and SMS campaigns.
It is broadcast on screens in student union bars and other high-traffic areas around campuses. It currently reaches 20% of all UK 18- to 24-year-olds and 60% of all full-time students in full-time education.
In Ubisoft's just -released 'Ghost Recon 2', players take charge of the supersecret special forces soliders known as the "Ghosts", who this time go into North Korea.
The game's plotline has earned it the condemnation of the North Korean government, which denounced the game as propaganda.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director - Top London Advertising Agency c£50k Fill Recruitment Ltd c£50k, Central London
- Senior Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £55,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London
- Senior Copywriter Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £30000 - £36000 per annum, Milton Keynes
- Web Analyst / Optimisation Manager EMR £52000 per annum, City of London
- Digital Producer / Project Manager Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £25000 - £32000 per annum, Benefits: +package, Manchester
- Junior Account Manager [Direct & Digital Marketing] - Superb Agency - to £27k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £27k + great benefits, Soho. London