Times and Indy writers up for grabs in charity auction
LONDON - 'Experiences' with journalists from The Times have gone up for auction on eBay today, among them a champagne reception with editor Robert Thomson, with proceeds to go to charity.
The editor's champagne reception, with a tour of News International's printing presses, is open to five winners. At the time of writing, it had attracted only one bid at £1, but the bidding is open for 10 days.
A day in Parliament with commentator Matthew Parris is expected to attract serious bidding -- the same offer last year raised £10,000.
Other auctions on offer include a day at the Badminton Horse Trials with sports journalist Simon Barnes, a day out with a Times photographer, and a £500 Armani makeover with The Times Magazine's style director Tina Gaudoin. To see the auctions, visit Times Online.
As its charities, The Times has chosen: Street Child Africa; Rukba, which helps older people on low incomes to maintain their independence; and SMA Trust, which is on the cusp of finding a cure for a spinal disease that cripples children.
Over at The Independent, which also introduced the auction idea last year, there are 39 lots to choose from, including number 13, a ramble with a possibly jet-lagged Janet Street-Porter, which went for £1,250 last year. Number 1 is lunch with editor Simon Kelner at The Ivy. Bidding runs until December 23.
The paper's Green Shoots charity appeal is raising money for: WaterAid; Integrated Rural Development and Nature Conversation, which is working in Namibia; and Send a Cow, which provides cattle to East African families.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £68,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London
- Marketing Manager Nu Creative Talent £26500.00 - £33000.00 per annum + excellent benefits, Hertfordshire
- Midweight-Senior Creative Team Major Players £50000 per annum, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Account Director Stopgap £40000 - £45000 per annum, Winnersh, Berkshire
- Project Manager / Account Manager Story Recruitment £30-38k dep on experience, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Business Director Direct Recruitment £80,000 + Bens, London (Central), London (Greater)