As the dollar dips US woos Brits with film-inspired drive
NEW YORK - As the dollar continues to fall, the US government is launching a $6m (£3.1m) advertising campaign, created by M&C Saatchi, to try to lure British travellers across the Atlantic by using images from famous films such as 'Thelma & Louise' and 'Chicago'.
The campaign uses the strapline "You've seen the film, now visit the set" and directs people towards a website SeeAmerica.org.uk.
It is the first general American campaign to run in the UK and will see scenes from films used in television and poster campaigns. Other movies to be featured include 'Oklahoma!' and 'Viva Las Vegas'.
Although the number of tourists travelling to the US from Britain has risen since 2002, the fallout from the September 11 attacks in 2001 is still being felt.
While it is likely that the incredibly favourable exchange rate for Brits visiting the US will lure many visitors for short shopping trips to New York and Boston, the SeeAmerica website encourages people to explore further. It is sponsored by FLA USA, which pushes Florida tourism, and North Caroline Tourism.
M&C Saatchi has been hired to create the campaign by the US Department of Commerce. The posters feature a scene from 'Spider-Man' flying between New York skyscrapers and a shot from the end of 'Thelma and Louise' where the stars, Geena Davis and Susan Sarandon drive their convertible through Monument Valley in Arizona.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager EMEA Callaway Golf Europe Ltd circa £50,000 pa plus benefits, based in Chessington, Surrey
- Account Director Major Players £45000 - £55000 per annum, London