Advertisers and agencies nudge publishers on figures
LONDON – The IPA and ISBA have endorsed The National Magazine Company's move to publish monthly magazine circulation figures for its titles, including Cosmopolitan, and are looking to other publishers to follow its lead.
ISBA member Jeremy Found, head of media at COI, said that any move that gave a better understanding of the market was welcomed.
"I really welcome the action that the National Magazine Company has taken. Anything that gives us a better understanding of the dynamics of the marketplace can only help us in planning effective campaigns."
Steve Goodman, group press director at MediaCom, said that the move would help planners understand the dynamics of the marketplace and improve clients' confidence.
However, he also criticised magazine publishers for their tardiness in responding to clients' requests for more transparency. He called for magazines "to shed this cloud of mystery created by reporting only six-monthly average circulations, and start breaking out the monthly data to allow clients and their agencies to see what they have actually bought into".
So far other publishers refused to follow NatMags' example, and the only public statement has come from the Periodical Publisher's Association, which did not endorse the publisher's move.
The PPA used its statement to stamp out any impression that the magazine sector was considering changing the ABC regime from a six-monthly average to monthly reporting.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Marketing Partnerships Director PFJ £40000.00 - £45000.00 per annum, London
- Assistant Category Manager Jarlett de Grouchy £27000 - £30000 per annum + + Bonus + Benefits, London