Lynx ad cleared after complaints it endorses casual sex
LONDON - The Bartle Bogle Hegarty Lynx spot, which retraces the steps of a couple following a one-night stand begun after meeting in a supermarket aisle, has been cleared by the advertising watchdog after a number of complaints.
The ad is shown in reverse, with a couple getting out of bed and putting clothes on. As they leave the house it become apparent that they have been stripping off while walking down the street, as the couple retrieve their clothes from roads and traffic signs.
The pay-off comes as the spot ends in a supermarket aisle with the pair returning to their trolleys where they first met just hours before.
Their shopping trollies are still half-full of groceries. The "couple" replace their shoes and give each other a coy glance before heading their separate ways and continue on with their shopping. The ad ends with the line "Because you never know when".
The ad received a number of complaints when it was shown before a PG-rated film, including one from a mother who saw it with her nine- and 11-year-old children. The complainants said that it was offensive, irresponsible and unsuitable to be seen by children, because it endorsed casual sex between strangers.
The Advertising Standards Authority ruled that the ad was suitable to be shown in a PG-rated movie because it did not have sexually explicit scenes, and that it was not likely to be seen as irresponsible or causing harm to children.
The ad was written and art directed by BBH's Nick Gill.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £68,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London
- New business director-part-time, boutique design agency,£55k PR Gabriele Skelton £50000 - £60000 per annum, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Digital Executive Stopgap £150 - £200 per day, Bracknell, Berkshire
- Brand IT Manager AbbVie Competitive Salary and Benefits Package, Maidenhead
- CLIENT MANAGER - BRIGHTON - £30K - £35K Adam Recruitment £30000 - £35000 per annum, Camden, London (Greater)
- SENIOR MARKETING MANAGER- Fashion retailer Success Digital £65000 per annum, London