McCann Erickson wins pitch for Co-op brand strategy
LONDON - McCann Erickson has won a competitive pitch for the Co-operative Group's advertising to develop an overarching brand strategy for its consumer businesses, which will aim to encourage consumer loyalty.
The pitch was run by the AAR and was understood to have included Euro RSCG at the final stage, as well as DDB London and St Luke's in the initial stages. MediaCom and Naked have also been retained to handle media planning for the account, according to reports.
The Co-op called the review after deciding to position many of the Co-op brands, which include food stores, banking and funerals, under a single banner. Butterfield 8 and Innocence, the strategic brand consultancies, have been working on developing a new brand identity since last year.
In September, McCann Erickson won the Co-op's creative account to promote its membership programme, which incorporates its financial services and funeral and insurance brands. That pitch was overseen by the Haystack Group.
The company, which was launched in 1844, has so far struggled to shake-off its image of being unadventurous, compared with its competitors.
The Co-operative Group operates more than 3,000 retail outlets, 1,600 food stores and 500 funeral branches nationwide.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Digital Media Senior Executive - Mobile - Leading Agency Ultimate Asset £23000 - £28000 per annum + Amazing Benefits, London
- SENIOR DIGITAL PLANNER - INTEGRATED AGENCY Live Recruitment £50000 - £70000 per annum, City of London
- Digital Marketing Manager - Ardington Ltd Ball & Hoolahan £Competitive Salary Package, South East
- Brand Activation Manager Ball & Hoolahan £36,000 + Car/Car Allowance, South East
- Marketing Manager - Inbound Tourism - Dubai Based MCG Associates Tax Free Competitive Package, Dubai, UAE
- Senior Account Manager - Saudi Arabia - PR MCG Associates Tax Free Package, Riyadh. KSA