McCann wins £400m General Motors Europe media task
LONDON - General Motors Europe has awarded its £400m media planning and buying account to Interpublic Group-owned Universal McCann throughout most of Europe, while sister agency Initiative holds on to the £85m UK brief.
General Motors initially reported that Universal McCann had won the entire account and had to backtrack before the news went global as it started to appear on US websites.
The four-month pitch for the motor group's media, which includes the Opel, Vauxhall, Saab and Chevrolet brands, saw incumbents Universal McCann and Initiative beat off competition from Aegis Group's Carat.
Initiative lost the Saab business in the Netherlands and Belgium, while Carat lost Germany to Universal McCann.
The news comes after a turbulent few months for the two Interpublic agencies. Universal McCann lost the battle for Nestle's media task to ZenithOptimedia and Initiative lost the £550m Unilever Western Europe media account last month, which went to MindShare.
Chris Shaw, chairman of Universal McCann, confirmed the win: "We are absolutely delighted to continue working with one of the best clients in Europe."
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Account Manager / Senior Account Manager- contract & permanent Royds Raphael £36k-£45k / £160-£200 day rate, London
- Senior Account Manager / Producer - Branding, Design & Strategy Royds Raphael £50k+neg plus benefits, London