David Levin replaces Hollick as chief executive of United
LONDON - Publishing and media group United Business Media has appointed Symbian chief executive David Levin to the top role recently vacated by Lord Clive Hollick.
Levin, 42, beat competition from strong internal candidates to the top role including Nigel Wilson, UBM's chief financial officer, and chief operating officer Malcolm Wall.
Levin was made chief executive at technology firm Symbian in April 2002 after serving on its supervisory board for two years. He was credited with turning the company into a leader in the smart-phone operating system market.
Previously, he was chief executive at handheld computer company Psion, which helped found Symbian, from February 1999 and prior to that spent five years experience as chief operating officer at international business publishing group Euromoney.
Geoff Unwin, chairman of UBM, said: "David Levin has an impressive operational background coupled with a track record of strong strategic execution. He also has extensive experience of international and media markets. Succeeding Clive will be a difficult task for anyone, but we have every confidence that David is the right man."
Levin will take up his new post in May 2005, at which time Lord Hollick will retire.
UBM owns business magazines, research firm NOP and 35% of terrestrial TV station Five. The firm once owned Express Newspapers, before selling it to Richard Desmond in 2001, and also owned the ITV franchises Anglia, Meridian and HTV, which were sold off after its failed merger with Carlton in 2000.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director - Top London Advertising Agency c£50k Fill Recruitment Ltd c£50k, Central London
- Senior Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £55,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London
- Head of External Communications Tarsh Lazare Marketing Recruitment £70,000 - £80,000 tax free, Kuwait
- Production Manager Pitch Consultants £25000 - £30000 per annum, Birmingham
- Content Director AF Selection £35,000 + Bonus + Benefits, Birmingham
- Advertising Operations Specialist Propel £24000 - £32000 per annum, City of London