Former government adviser is BBC Scotland governor
LONDON - Downing Street has appointed a former government adviser, Jeremy Peat, to the BBC's board of governors as national governor for Scotland.
Peat worked as an economic adviser in a number of government departments, including the Treasury, for more than 10 years until 1993.
Peat is currently group chief economist of the Royal Bank of Scotland and replaces Sir Robert Smith, who retires from the board at the end of this month after six years' service. Peat will also replace Sir Robert as chairman of the audit committee.
Michael Grade, BBC chairman, said: "Jeremy Peat will be an excellent representative of Scotland's licence-fee payers. His professional experience as one of Britain's leading economists will ensure his contribution to the board will benefit licence-fee payers throughout the UK."
Peat said: "As the BBC's long-term future is debated, I look forward to working with my fellow governors to ensure the corporation is strongly positioned to continue to deliver the quality broadcasting that the British public expect and deserve across the whole UK."
Peat, a fellow of the Chartered Institute of Bankers in Scotland, has been group chief economist at the Royal Bank of Scotland since 1993.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager EMEA Callaway Golf Europe Ltd circa £50,000 pa plus benefits, based in Chessington, Surrey
- Client Account Manager Content is King c. £25k per annum dependent on experience, SW1