Labour unveils slogan as Campbell returns in adviser role
LONDON - Labour has unveiled its election campaign slogan, 'Britain forward, not back', as it emerged that former Number 10 press secretary Alastair Campbell has been acting as a senior media adviser for the past three weeks.
The slogan "Britain forward, not back" was unveiled yesterday by former health secretary and chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster Alan Milburn, who is Labour's general election coordinator, while Campbell, who stepped down in 2003, looked on.
Reports say that Campbell has been brought in as a consultant to advise the Labour leadership, and that he has been working at the party's headquarters for the past three weeks.
The unveiling of the slogan follows huge controversy sparked by a poll Labour carried out on its website to choose election posters. Two of the posters were accused of being anti-Semitic, one because it showed Tory leader Michael Howard as a Shylock figure, and the other because it featured Howard and shadow chancellor Oliver Letwin as flying pigs. Howard and Letwin are both Jewish.
The ads have been pulled, but Labour is now running a new poll to choose a poster from a series that highlight Howard's role in John Major's Conservative government.
At the slogan launch, Milburn said: "Our determination is to secure a third-term Labour government that drives forward change, that fulfils our promise to renew our country and takes Britain forward to a better future not back to a failed past under the Tories."
Labour retains TBWA\London for its advertising.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director - Top London Advertising Agency c£50k Fill Recruitment Ltd c£50k, Central London
- Senior Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £55,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London
- Head of External Communications Tarsh Lazare Marketing Recruitment £70,000 - £80,000 tax free, Kuwait
- Production Manager Pitch Consultants £25000 - £30000 per annum, Birmingham
- Content Director AF Selection £35,000 + Bonus + Benefits, Birmingham
- Advertising Operations Specialist Propel £24000 - £32000 per annum, City of London