GfK sees record growth for 2004 with sales rising 12.7%
LONDON - Global research firm GfK Group has announced record preliminary results for 2004 with sales up 12.7% to €671m (£465m), beating its own forecast.
GfK's five business divisions all reported substantial growth. Retail and technology was the top sector with overall growth of 12.2% and organic growth accounting for 11.2%, largely attributed to the launch of a global web-based information system.
Healthcare research boosted sales by 38.2% and media research saw organic growth of 7.1%, fighting back from a loss of 3.8% last year. Two big contracts aided the figures: BBC TV and radio assessment and a Belgian radio ratings contract. Custom research grew by an impressive 14.2%, although only 4.6% was organic.
Consumer tracking benefited from 5.3% organic growth but currency effects reduced growth by 0.2 percentage points to 5.2%.
GfK's remaining groups outside of these sectors -- GfK group services and GfK Data Services and GfK Business Solutions and Processing -- recorded a drop in sales, expected to be around 31%.
Germany was the best performing region with 6.3% organic growth, accounting for just over a third of all sales at €235.6m.
Western and Southern Europe saw good organic growth, up 5.4% from 2003, while Northern Europe slowed to 2.7%, largely due to the UK healthcare and custom research underperforming.
GfK is forecasting sales of €710m for the current financial year, with January sales already invoiced at 36% of the forecast for the year.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager EMEA Callaway Golf Europe Ltd circa £50,000 pa plus benefits, based in Chessington, Surrey
- Senior Marketing Manager Haymarket Media Group Dependant on experience, Teddington, Middlesex