Targett takes over at FT.com as Freeland oversees electronic news delivery
LONDON - The Financial Times has changed its digital line-up, appointing Simon Targett as editor of FT.com and Chrystia Freeland to the new role of editor of electronic services.
Remaining in her current role as the paper's deputy editor, Freeland will take responsibility for the editorial aspects of the FT's electronically delivered content. This includes the evolution of FT.com, and the FT's extension into Blackberry-tailored content and PDF-based products such as FTpm, the free daily news briefing.
Andrew Gowers, editor of the FT, said: "This is a crucial period for the FT in moving from being an exclusively print-based news organisation to one that combines print and online delivery in innovative ways. FT.com is now sustainably profitable, as well as an integral part of our editorial and commercial operations."
Targett replaces Tracy Corrigan, who was appointed joint news editor for the FT. Targett has also been made an assistant editor of the FT, where he has worked since 1996. Currently the FT's features editor responsible for the daily Business Life section, his previous roles have included launch editor for weekly supplement FT Fund Management.
Since rejoining the FT in 2001, Freeland has worked as Saturday editor and editor of FT.com. Before her spell from 1999 to 2001 as editor of The Globe & Mail in Toronto, she was UK news editor, Moscow bureau chief and Eastern Europe correspondent for the FT.
FT.com has 3.9m unique users and 80,000 paying subscribers, and has been profitable since the end of 2002.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Account Director AF Selection £35,000 - £38,000 plus car, Birmingham
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Global Insight Director Ball & Hoolahan £75,000 + CA + benefits, London