Number of blogs is doubling every five months
LONDON - A blog is born every second, according to research from web tracking company Technorati, bringing the number of weblogs it is tracking up from 7.8m in March to 14.2m at the end of July.
The US company's latest 'State of the Blogosphere' report claims that the number of blogs is doubling every five months, with around 80,000 new weblogs being created every day.
The research revealed that 13% of all blogs tracked by Technorati are updated weekly or more regularly, and 55% of all new bloggers are still posting blogs three months after they started.
Free blogging services are also growing at a fast rate, such as those provided by MSN, Blogger, LiveJournal and AOL, and the use of software to create blogs such as WordPress and Movable Type has increased.
Technorati acts like a search engine that tracks what is occurring in the blogosphere, the name given to the realm where blogs exist.
Last month, research from online monitoring firm Hitwise signified the growing importance of bloggers by revealing that one in every 200 web visits is to a blog website.
The growing number of blogs has also seen the power of blogs grow as well. Bloggers are increasingly breaking stories before the mainstream media or being used to exert pressure on the mainstream media.
Blogs played an important role in US Presidential Election taking on the mainstream media over President Bush's National Guard service.
In the UK last month, Guardian trainee reporter Dilpazier Aslam had his membership of a radical and anti-Semitic Islamic party Hizb ut-Tahrir exposed by bloggers including Scott Burgess and Harry's Place.
Aslam refused to leave Hizb ut-Tahrir and sacked by the paper after an investigation.
The site with the biggest growth was blog.myspace.com, which saw a 500% increase in visits since it was first tracked by Hitwise last September. Myspace was recently acquired by News Corporation in a $580m deal.
Google-owned Blogger also underwent major growth. The two sites offer free webspace to bloggers who can create their online diaries for free.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Account Director AF Selection £35,000 - £38,000 plus car, Birmingham
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Global Insight Director Ball & Hoolahan £75,000 + CA + benefits, London