Scottish Widows appoints 21-year-old model to front campaign
LONDON – Scottish Widows has taken on a 21-year-old model as the latest 'widow' to don the black cloak in its advertising, a motif that has been synonymous with the pensions and investments brand since 1986.
Hayley Hunt, from Virginia Water in Surrey, was chosen after a nationwide hunt by agency Storm Models to front the campaign, created by Leo Burnett.
She will follow in the footsteps of Debbie Moore -- daughter of actor Roger Moore -- who starred in the very first Scottish Widows ad, "looking good", which resulted in name awareness of the brand rising from 30% to 86% within six weeks of its launch.
In 1994, Amanda Lamb took over the role with ads including "the maze" in 1994, "lights" in 1996, "change" in 1998, "in the black" in 2000, "brighter future" in 2002, and "show of confidence" in 2004.
Leo Burnett won the £5m Scottish Widows account at the end of 2004 after a pitch against HHCL/Red Cell, McCann Erickson and Wieden & Kennedy. It had previously been held for 20 years by Citigate Albert Frank.
Hunt will first appear in Scottish Widows' print ads photographed by David Bailey in September and television ads in 2006.
The campaign was created by Leo Burnett executive creative director Jim Thornton and creative director David Beverley. Naked developed the communication strategy.
Zed led the media buying, with Navigator handling direct mail, TeamSpirit working on IFA, channel marketing and website development, and Lansons Communications looking after PR.
Nathan Moss, managing director of marketing and distribution at Scottish Widows, said: "The 'widow' is a core part of our brand and customers hold her in high esteem. In the selection of a new widow we wanted to maintain this while also bringing a new, fresh feel to our icon."
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager EMEA Callaway Golf Europe Ltd circa £50,000 pa plus benefits, based in Chessington, Surrey
- Senior Account Manager Twist Recruitment £32000.00 - £40000.00 per annum, City of London